This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Happy New Year from everyone at Spa Medical Centre!

Latest News

Who cares for the Carers? We do! 

The team at Spa have been awarded the coveted Investors in Carers Gold Plus award, recognising the work we do for unpaid carers.

Click here to find out more!

Are you feeling the burn this summer?

It’s natural to want to get out in the sun during warm summer days but it's important to take steps to protect your skin to avoid getting burnt.

Sunburn is usually mild and short-lived but it’s important to try and avoid it. Keeping a high factor sun cream in your medicine cabinet and applying it before you go out in the sun is advisable. 

You can help safeguard your skin from the harmful effects of the sun by following these simple steps.

  •      Cover up when you are out in the sun – wear clothing and a wide-brimmed hat to protect as much skin as possible and protect your eyes with sunglasses that block at least 99% of UV light
  •      Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and at least 4-start UVA protection and reapply every 2 hours and after swimming
  •      Seek shade and limit your direct exposure to the sun, especially between 11am and 3pm when UV rays are strongest

It can be easy to underestimate the strength of the sun when you’re outside and you may not realise you’re getting burnt. If you or your child has sunburn, you should get out of the sun as soon as possible by heading indoors or into a shady area.

How to treat sunburn

If you do get burnt, you can treat mild sunburn at home, which may help to relieve your symptoms until your skin heals.

  •      Cool the skin by having a cold bath or shower, sponging it with cold water, or holding a cold flannel to it
  •      Use lotions containing aloe vera to soothe and moisturise your skin
  •      Applying over the counter hydrocortisone cream for a few days may help reduce the inflammation – you can get this from your local pharmacy
  •      Drink plenty of fluids to cool you down and prevent dehydration
  •      Take painkillers, such as ibuprofen or paracetamol to relieve any pain

If you are feeling unwell, or you are concerned about your sunburn, particularly if you are burnt over a large area call NHS 111 or visit you nearest Minor Injuries Unit.

You should see your GP if a young child or baby has sunburn, or you have signs of severe sunburn which include:

  •      Blistering or swelling of the skin
  •      Chills
  •      A high temperature of 38C (100.4F) or above
  •      Dizziness, headaches and feeling sick – these may be signs of heat exhaustion

Pharmacy Focus in Wiltshire

Many minor health problems could be dealt with by your local pharmacist instead of an appointment with your GP.  Please take the time to read the information leaflet below to see what services community pharmacists can offer.

Pharmacy Services

Your Medical Records

All information about our patients is private and confidential; whether it is heard, seen in writing, or held on a computer.

Identifiable patient information is only shared within the Practice team and, in the case of referral, to the clinician to whom you are referred. Disclosure of identifiable patient information to any other outside agencies will only be done after receiving permission from the patient.

This means that your partner, spouse, children, or other relatives or friends cannot access your medical records without your consent. 

You have a right of access to your health records. The Data Protection Act (1988) gives you the right of access to all information that the Practice holds on you manually and on computer. It is your legal right to see your records and if you so wish, to obtain a photocopy of them. Only in exceptional circumstance can access be withheld.

If you would like to apply for access to information held about you please put your request in writing to the Patient Services Manager, Cheryl Attrill

Electronic Record Sharing

Your electronic records are kept in all the places where you receive healthcare.  These places can usually only share information from your records by letter, email, fax or phone.  At times, this can slow down your treatment and mean information is hard to access.

Spa Medical Centre uses a computer system called SystmOne that allows the sharing of full electronic records across different healthcare services that use the same system.

Your information will only be shared with other healthcare services if you give them your explicit consent.  If you don't want a clinician from another healthcare service to be able to view your health record, you can say so at the point at which they ask you.

Alternatively, you can ask at Reception for a form to sign and note that you do not consent to sharing your health record and we will amend your record to reflect this.

Click here for more information.

Friends & Family Test

We would like you to think about your recent experiences of our services and let us know by anwering the Friends & Family survey.  Thank you. 

Patient Online Access to Medical Records


Spa Medical Centre now offer patients all of the requirements under the GP contract relating to online services and are working closely with our system supplier (SystmOne) to allow patients to access more detailed information from their medical records.  It is our intention to have this available by 31st March 2016

If you would like to sign up to all the online services we provide, please fill in the "Online Access Application Form" and hand it in to Reception.  Please remember to bring identification with you such as passport, driving licence, birth certificate, bank statement, utility bill.


Care Data

How sharing information in your medical records can help the NHS to provide better care.  A modern information system has been developed, which will make increased use of information from medical records with the intention of improving health services. The system is being delivered by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) and NHS England on behalf of the NHS.

For more information, please click on the links below:
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website